This Easy Savory Cheese Bread recipe is ridiculously easy to make. It is delicious “as is”, but you can also add onions, sundried tomatoes or olives. Great for holidays, dinners in the family or any day of the year.
I have so many recipes waiting in “queue” to be published on the blog, that I think I might need another life to cook and bake.
So many of them and the pile keeps growing, so little time for every one of them! However, when a recipe makes it twice to our table, it must be really worthwhile, like this one.
I love quick breads. They save you a trip to the store, they are versatile and delicious and always a good reason to heat up the oven and bake something.
How about when you have guests?
Any quick bread will transform a dinner from blah to awesome. Especially when bread is mandatory for dipping it in the sauce, like in this Spanish dish.
How to make this bread?
First step always is to preheat the oven. Lots of people forget that and remember just before the batter is ready to be baked.
A little bit of butter or oil is perfect to grease a loaf pan that you can set aside.
This recipe is easy because you can mix the dry ingredients together in one bowl, while the wet ingredients get mixed in another.
So, stir together flour, baking powder, sugar and salt and shredded cheese until well combined.
In a different bowl, stir together milk, egg, vegetable oil and mustard. Pour the wet mixture over the dry mixture and stir just until all ingredients are moistened.
Note: The batter will be lumpy, but that’s ok, do not insist to get rid of them.
Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake(see instructions at the bottom of the article) until the top is lightly browned.
Allow the bread to cool for about 10 minutes before removing it from the pan and serve it.
This easy savory cheese bread recipe is ridiculously easy to make. It is delicious “as is”, but you can also be creative and add other things to it.
What else can I add besides besides cheese?
Think jalapeño peppers, onions, sun-dried tomatoes or olives. Stir some ground black pepper, oregano or rosemary into the flour mixture and you transform the bread into something glorious.
I make it when I need a piece a fresh bread next to a meal and don’t have time to drive to the store.
Let’s not forget that this bread can take you out of a situation when you want to bake a bread but you do not have yeast in the pantry.
It is versatile and more than anything, it is absolutely DELICIOUS!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons aluminum free baking powder
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups shredded cheese(sharp cheddar, Monterey Jack, Swiss etc)
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Variation: In the batter can be added one or more of the following ingredients according to your taste: chopped jalapeno onions, olives or sun dried tomatoes. Or stir ground black pepper, crushed red pepper flakes, oregano or rosemary into the flour mix.
- Preheat oven to 375F(190C).
- Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt until combined.
- Add the shredded cheese and mix everything well.
- In another bowl, stir together the milk, egg, vegetable oil and mustard.
- Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture and stir just until all the ingredients are moistened. The batter will be lumpy, but that's ok.
- Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the top is lightly browned.
- Allow bread to cool for about 10 minutes before removing it from the pan.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 222Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 35mgSodium: 338mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 9g