This Chocolate Cake with Tart Cherries is a real treat for the holidays and not only. Valentine’s Day, birthday parties and anything in between are also great opportunities to impress your family and friends with this delicious recipe. If you like to bake from scratch, you will enjoy making this cake.
chocolate cake with cherries
As the holidays are approaching, it is always a good reason to bake, no matter what. And why not a cake?
Cakes, actually, in my humble opinion, make great gifts for family and friends. Everybody loves them, no matter the occasion!
This cake is easy to make. It has a layer of cake, one of buttercream and a chocolate glaze that will give the cake an elegant finish.
The best part of this cake is the addition of tart/sour cherries in syrup.
It is well known that chocolate and cherries go very well together, but chocolate and sour cherries are made for each other!
You can find sour cherries in syrup in any grocery store here in America or you can always order online. They should look like this.
The filling is a combination of butter, sugar, a pudding that is made separately, chocolate and cocoa. To this combination, the sour cherries are added.
The easiest way to build this cake is in the same pan you baked the batter. I used a springform pan, because at the end of the process I was able to remove the walls of the pan and have a beautiful, straight cake that looked neat.
First layer is the cake. The second layer is the chocolate cherry buttercream that is poured over the cake and then refrigerated. See how the buttercream sits on top of the cake?
After the cake sets in the refrigerator, a combination of melted chocolate and butter is poured over the cake to form a glaze.
To decorate this cake with cherries, I made some little rosettes with some leftover buttercream and added a sour cherry on top of each rosette.
Simple and beautiful!
NOTE: If you want to make individual little cakes, bake the cake into a 9×9 cake pan instead, then cut the shapes you want. Use individual molds to put the little cakes together.
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cups(140g) granulated sugar
- 3/4 cups(140g) all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons(20 g) cacao powder
- 3 1/2 tablespoons (50 ml) vegetable oil
- 3 1/2 tablespoons (50 ml) luke water
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
Chocolate Buttercream with Sour Cherries filling:
- 14 tablespoons/7 oz(200g) butter
- 5 ounces(150g) dark chocolate
- 7 ounces(200g) sour pitted cherries
- 1 1/4 cup(300ml or 10oz) milk
- 4 tablespoons(30g) cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons cacao powder
- 1 cup(100g) powder sugar
- 7 ounces dark chocolate
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Separate eggs.
- In a small bowl mix egg yolks, sugar, water, oil, and cacao powder. Set aside.
- In a different bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, and baking soda.
- In a standing mixer, beat the egg white until stiff.
- Add the egg yolks mixture and mix slowly with a spatula until incorporated.
- Add flour, mixing slowly to not lose the air from the egg whites.
- Prepare a 10" springform with parchment paper on the bottom and pour the cake batter into it.
- Bake at 350F for about 20 minutes or until the cake passes the toothpick test.
- Let it cool.
- Chocolate sour cherries buttercream:
- In a small pot, place cacao powder and cornstarch, then add milk and mix well to incorporate.
- Place the pot on the stove and cook the mixture, mixing constantly, until it gets thicker like a pudding.
- Allow it to cool and set aside.
- Beat the sugar and the butter with a mixer until fluffy.
- Add the pudding mixing well.
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler and pour it over the cream.
- Add the chopped sour cherries.
- Mix well, then remove 2-3 tablespoons of buttercream that we will use for the decorations.
- How to put the cake together:
- Keep the cake inside the springform and pour over the chocolate sour cherry buttercream.
- Spread it even with a spatula.
- Refrigerate until the buttercream is set, for few hours.
- When ready to glaze, melt the chocolate in a double boiler, then add the butter and mix well.
- Remove the springform and place the cake on a platter. Pour over the melted chocolate.
- Refrigerate until chocolate glaze is set.
- Pipe a few buttercream rosettes on top of the cake and place a sour cherry on top of each rosette.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 183Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 54mgSodium: 42mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 1gSugar: 10gProtein: 3g