My friend’s birthday was coming and I wanted really bad to make her a cake. As she was born at the beginning of April, I figured out that daisies and lady bugs are the best to achieve that. My palms were itchy for a fun springy cake that would brighten her day!
I decided on this candied orange salted chocolate ganache yellow cake because it was different. I love the combination of chocolate and orange flavor and I love salted chocolate ganache. The cake is pretty simple to bake and put together. The fun part was decorating the cake.
I made a bunch of gum paste daisies, a cute lady bug and surrounded the cake with Kit Kat bars to give the image of a little spring garden. I know the concept of using the Kit Kat bars is not new, the beauty of it though, is that the sky is the limit when it comes to decorating the face of the cake. You can use gum paste figurines, real flowers, fresh fruit or any colored candy you like. This cake goes well for a spring event, Easter, if you add a little bunny and eggs, summer gardens, pools etc. The possibilities are endless, so use your imagination.
This is my lady bug sitting on a bunch of daisies. I love daisies. For me, they are the happiest flowers to have around in the spring.
My friend loved the cake! Unfortunately, I do not have a section of it to show you the inside, but my friend C. said the cake was moist and the chocolate ganache was decadent and delicious.
Are you going to try your hand on baking and decorating this cake?
- 188g g (1½ cups) all purpose flour
- 1¼ tsps baking powder
- ½ tsps kosher salt
- 188 g (1 cup) of sugar
- 113g (1 stick) unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 eggs + 1 yolk , room temperature
- 1 tsps vanilla
- 120ml (1/2 cup) buttermilk, room temperature
- SALTED DARK CHOCOLATE GANACHE
- 453g (16 oz) dark chocolate , chopped
- 480 ml (2 cups) heavy cream
- ¼ tsps kosher salt
- 2Tbsp candied orange peel, chopped finely
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C.
- Grease and flour 9 inches round baking pan or spring form pan.
- Use a medium bowl to sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl beat together sugar and butter until fluffy. Use a mixer if you have one.
- Add eggs and yolk, one at a time, beating until well combined.
- Add the vanilla.
- Add flour mixture alternating with buttermilk.
- Pour the batter into the baking pan and spread it evenly in the pan.
- Bake for about 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Remove and cool the pan for 10 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the pan and cool completely.
- SALTED CHOCOLATE GANACHE:
- Place chopped chocolate in a large mixing bowl.
- In a medium saucepan bring heavy cream + salt to a boil. Remove it from the stove and pour cream over the chocolate. Let stand for 2 minutes then stir to melt the chocolate. Let it cool, then beat with an electric mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add the candied orange peel and mix to incorporate it in the ganache.
- HOW TO PUT TOGETHER THE CAKE:
- Slice the cake twice horizontally so you end up with three layers.
- Place the bottom of the cake on a cake platter.
- Split the ganache in three parts.
- Use one part to fill the first cake layer.
- Add another layer of cake on top of the ganache. spread some more ganache over it. Finish the cake with another layer and then cover it with ganache.
- Decorate it as you like, or if you do not want to bother with decorations, just sprinkle the cake with sea salt. Enjoy!