This is a Homemade Raffaello Coconut Almond Confections recipe, a very popular snack in Europe. Super easy to make and delicious.
Homemade Raffaello Coconut Almond Confections
Raffaello Coconut Almond Confections are a popular item in Europe. You can find them in stores around the United States also, but they are not as popular as overseas.
How Raffaello Coconut Almond Confections are made by Ferrero Rocher:
The original confections are spherical wafers filled with a white milk cream and white blanched almonds.
They are tossed in coconut flakes and sold in little boxes. Raffaello confections are considered pralines and were invented in the 90’s by the Ferrero Rocher company. An absolutely delicious dessert, if you ask me.
While very delicious, these pralines contain also some ingredients that I am not a fan of, so for that matter, this recipe comes handy when I cannot buy them or prefer a more homemade version of them.
This is an awesome treat that would make a wonderful gift for the holidays. Put each coconut confection in a candy paper cup, then place all of them nicely in a little box.
How to make Homemade Raffaello Coconut Almond Confections:
First of all, mix the coconut flakes with the condensed milk, until smooth. Let the coconut flakes sit for a while until they absorb the condensed milk.
Using your wet hands, grab a dollop of the mixture and roll it between your palms as a ball.
Hide a toasted almond in the middle of the confection. Finally, toss the confection in coconut flakes and place it in a candy paper.
Continue until you finish the entire batch.
I saw some homemade recipes out there that also use butter. While butter could be a binding ingredient in this recipe, I think the fat in the butter might be too much for these beauties.
Try to buy the unsweetened coconut flakes as the condensed milk has a lot of sugar in it. You don’t really need to add more sugar to the recipe, it might become too sweet.
If you are looking into eating a more balanced dessert that is not overly sweet, then unsweetened shredded coconut will do the trick.
These homemade confections should be refrigerated or frozen.
They taste delicious right out of the freezer, therefore it would be great to make them in advance and serve as a treat later (it is a wonderful gift for the holidays also).
Pin this for later:
- 2 cups (190g) cups organic unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup(50g) organic unsweetened shredded coconut for rolling the confections on it
- 1 can(14 oz)(400ml) sweetened condensed milk
- 6 oz(150 g) roasted unsalted almonds
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
- In a bowl, place 2 cups shredded coconut and add the entire can of condensed milk. Also add the vanilla or the almond extract.
- Mix it together and let sit for few minutes until the coconut absorbs the milk.
- If the mixture seems to be too wet, add a little bit more coconut flakes.
- Using your wet hands, take dollops of the mixture and roll them between your hands to make a ball.
- Insert an almond in the middle of each confection.
- Prepare a plate with shredded coconut for rolling the confections on it.
- Roll each confection in the shredded coconut until covered, then place it on a candy paper.
- Refrigerate for few hours before serving or keep them in the freezer in an airtight container.
- The homemade coconut almond confections are great as holiday gifts.