Mexican Chipotle Mushrooms is a wonderful recipe that I like a lot and make quite often. It is a very different, refreshing side dish that goes well with any type of meat. If you are a vegetarian or vegan, these mushrooms would go well on pasta or rice. You can also make great tacos.
To make the recipe you need only few ingredients. I like to use chipotle in a can but if you don’t have that, we will discuss it in a little bit.
The chopped cilantro complements the dish and gives it that Mexican flair we all love. Did I tell you that it also has garlic? I like using fresh one, not powder.
Overall, this is a great recipe that can be made any time of the year! Suits vegans and vegetarians, makes great tacos and fits as a side dish next to any kind of meat. And it is delicious!
Note on Chipotle Chiles:
Chipotle Chiles can be found in different forms, like canned, dried or powder.
If you use a can, use only one pepper for this dish. Take the rest of the peppers and put them in a plastic bag that you can keep in the freezer. Every time you need some Chipotle grab a little bit from that bag and use in your food.
If you use the powder one, use like 1/4 teaspoon. Taste your food. Chipotle chile powder is hot, so go slow on it. It is easy to add a little bit more to your food but impossible to remove it.
If you use a dry pepper, you will need to soak the dried chile in a bowl of hot water for about 10 mins until it is softened. Drain, cut off the stem, then slit the chile and scrape out the seeds. Chop the flesh finely and add it to your dish.
- 1-2 pounds of any mushrooms you like(button mushrooms work best)
- 2-3 diced cloves of garlic
- 2-3 diced green onion(you can use regular onion as well if you prefer)
- 1 chipotle chile (Chipotle Chile)
- small bunch of cilantro
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- Wash, clean and chop your vegetables, the mushrooms, onions and the garlic.
- In a skillet pour some vegetable oil and set the stove on medium high heat.
- Add your diced onions and garlic.
- Cook them until translucent and make sure they don't burn(especially the garlic)
- Add the mushrooms.
- Cook until tender.
- Add salt and pepper to your taste.
- Chop the chipotle and add it to the skillet.
- When everything is cooked, add the chopped cilantro and serve.