Making ice cream at home in the summer is one of the most fun activities. Ice cream is such an easy dessert, but so full of flavors! I chose to make today a handmade mango ice cream because I love the mango flavor. My recipe was inspired from Ana Consulea’s website , one of my favorite Pastry Chefs of Romania. Ana makes one of the best ice creams out there using only natural ingredients. This recipe uses real fruit, real heavy cream, milk and honey and I have to tell you that I really fell in love with it.
I do not own an ice cream machine, but that should not stop you to make the recipe if you are like me. You will just need a little bit of patience. The recipe is light, not very sweet, but, oh, so full of flavor! With an ice cream machine or without, a home made ice cream beats by far the store bought one.
For this recipe I used organic whole milk, organic heavy cream and raw honey. I heated up the milk, heavy cream, sugar and honey on the stove until it reached 82C/180F. I removed and poured the mixture over the mango puree and the lemon juice. I used a vertical hand mixer to blend everything well. I cooled the bowl on ice, then placed the mixture in the fridge for about 2 hours. After that, it was ready to be either placed in an ice cream machine and churned or placed in the freezer. As I do not have a machine, I placed it in the freezer and mixed once in a while to avoid the ice pellets formation.
It is delicious! Believe me! You will fall in love with it as much as we did! I dare you to try it!
- 550g/20 oz. mango puree(about 2 big ripened mangos)
- 50 ml/3.5 Tbsp lemon juice
- 150 ml/5 fl.oz. heavy cream
- 200 ml/6.8 fl.oz. whole milk
- 150 g/5.3 oz granulated sugar
- 70 g/2.5 oz raw honey
- Peel the mango and remove the stone from inside.
- Puree the fruit and add the lemon juice over.
- In a saucepan add milk, heavy cream, sugar and honey.
- Place the saucepan on the stove and heat up the mixture to 180F/82C. Do not boil.
- Remove the saucepan and pour the milk over the fruit puree.
- Blend the mixture together until smooth.
- Place the bowl with the mixture on ice and cool down.
- When cooled, place the bowl in the fridge for 2 hours.
- If you use an ice cream maker, place the mixture in the machine and follow the instructions on the ice cream maker.
- If you do not have one, place the mixture in the freezer and mix every 15-20 minutes until it starts to freeze.