The recipe for Crustless Broccoli Bacon Quiche is one of my favorite recipes. It is low in carbs, nutritious and delicious.
Crustless Broccoli Bacon Quiche
I make quiche very often for my family, first of all because they love it and second, because it is a very easy breakfast or lunch item that can be taken to work.
Have a slice in the morning with your favorite coffee, or make a salad and have the quiche with it for lunch. Delicious!
What kind of vegetables you can use for a quiche:
I always try to get creative in the kitchen, so I use any kind of vegetables I have in the refrigerator. Sometimes is broccoli, but it could be also spinach, onion and pepper, asparagus, or mushrooms. You can definitely use ham instead of bacon.
I am also interested in eating clean and healthy, so the eggs and sour cream I use are always organic. I also use quality cheese.
Milk, half and half or sour cream?
I had people asking me what do I put in my quiche and why is it different compared with other recipes out there. I believe it is the cream or the sour cream I mix with the eggs, instead of using milk or half and half as you will see in many American recipes.
In fact, I discovered recently reading the Larousse Gastronomique, that the original recipe for quiche has a base made with beaten eggs and cream, or cream fraiche, the European substitute for our American sour cream.
I was happy to learn that, as I always used sour cream in my quiche recipes, because I liked the texture.
Milk will give a spongy texture to the quiche. The reason I like using sour cream is that the texture is creamier and more delicious. If you are looking to cut down the fat in your diet, milk is a good option but just keep in mind that the texture will be different.
Can I replace bacon with other types of meat?
My preference is ham if I do not have bacon available. However, if you live in an area where cold cuts are more diverse, use them.
For example, outside of US, like Europe for example, there are cured, smoked meats that can be used for this types of recipes.
It could be smoked pork loin, smoked pork shoulder, smoked beef shoulder, pastrami etc.
How to make Crustless Broccoli Bacon Quiche:
To make this recipe, start by cooking together the onions and bacon together. When the onion is translucid and the bacon cooked, add the broccoli. I sometimes use frozen broccoli, which might save you a trip to the store.
Cook the broccoli half way through, making sure that any liquid in the pan is almost evaporated. Set the pan aside and let the broccoli, bacon and onions cool while you take care of the eggs.
Beat the eggs, add the sour cream, mix, then add the shredded cheese. Place the broccoli, ham and onions in a baking pan and add the mixture of eggs, sour cream and cheese.
Bake and enjoy.(See recipe below) It is easy to make, right?
If you liked this recipe, you might also like some other quiche recipes on the blog, like Crustless Spinach with Smoked Meat and Gouda Cheese .
If you have guests or a potluck, this recipe of Vegetarian mini quiche is a great one.
For more awesome quiche recipes take a look at this collection that might inspire you.
But, how about other recipe ideas for breakfast? Click here to see my entire collection of breakfast recipes.
- 5 eggs
- 8oz frozen broccoli
- 1 chopped medium onion
- 8 oz bacon (or ham) chopped in small pieces
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar Cheese or Gruyere cheese
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a medium pan, saute the chopped onion and meat (bacon or ham) together in some oil. Cook until the onions are translucid and meat is cooked.
- Add the broccoli.
- Mix the ingredients together and cook them for about 5 minutes until the broccoli is half cooked and the liquid in the pan evaporated.
- Add salt and pepper to your taste.
- Remove the broccoli, onions and bacon from the stove and put them in a pie/quiche pan. I use a Pyrex Pie Pan, but you can use any pie pan you have around.
- Let the broccoli and bacon cool for few minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk the eggs together.
- Add sour cream to the mixture and shredded cheese.
- Pour the eggs with the cheese and sour cream over the vegetables.
- Bake the quiche for about 30 mins at 350F, until it is lightly brown outside and cooked inside.
- Insert a toothpick in the middle and check if it is done. The toothpick should come out clean.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 256Total Fat: 21.7gSaturated Fat: 9.5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 148mgSodium: 289mgCarbohydrates: 4.6gFiber: 1gSugar: 1/4gProtein: 11.2g