Austrian Chocolate Cream Cheese Bars is a decadent dessert that is perfect for holidays gatherings or potlucks.Chocolate and cream cheese are the stars of the recipe.
Chocolate Cream Cheese Bars
According to my husband, these Austrian Cream Cheese Bars are the best bars he ever ate in his life. I have to recognize myself that these are ones of the best I ever tried in my life.
This is an old recipe I found among other million recipes I own. I am sure you know what I am talking about.
Yeah, the recipes you collect and think that one of these days you are going to make them, but you can’t today, because you don’t have cream cheese in the fridge, or pecans, or whatever ingredient you need.
My collection is growing. As a food blogger, I think I might need another lifetime to make all the recipes I fell in love with and share them with you.
Let’s talk about what ingredients you need for this recipe:
The chocolate cream cheese bars have multiple layers of heaven. The crust, the cream cheese mixture and the chocolate topping. I am going to describe the ingredients for each layer.
It would be helpful to check the amounts and the
FOR THE CRUST:
- All purpose flour– this is the most common flour used in the US. I would not use self rising flour because it contains baking soda that we don’t need in the recipe.
- Dark brown sugar– the dark brown sugar will bring another level of sophistication to these bars, but if you don’t have it, replace it with light brown sugar or even granulated. The taste will be a little bit different as you already know.
- Cinnamon powder– use a good quality cinnamon for best results.
- Unsalted butter is what you need here. Salted butter will alter the taste of the bars, but if you have no other choice, I am not going to look. 👀
FOR THE TOPPING:
- Cream cheese– no fat free or reduced fat, please
- All purpose flour
- Granulated sugar
- Large eggs
- Semisweet chocolate chips– if you can afford, buy a good brand, you will be amazed about the difference in taste and quality.
FOR THE GLAZE:
- Semisweet chocolate chips
- Chopped pecans or walnuts, toasted
How To Make These Austrian Chocolate Cream Cheese Bars:
I made them in a 13×9 inches pan. You will end up with a tone of bars, especially if you cut them in smaller pieces.
To tell you the truth, you have to cut them small, as they are quite sweet and satisfying, very rich and delicious.
They actually taste like a candy bar, a very, very good candy bar.
In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and butter.
Beat at medium speed about 2 minutes or until crumbly and well blended. Obviously, a food processor would do the job faster, if you have one, but don’t stress out, use what you have.
Press mixture into a 13×9 inch pan and bake for 12 minutes; remove from the oven.
Meawhile, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar, flour and eggs at medium speed until smooth. Stir in the chocolate chips.
Pour the cream mixture over the partially baked crust.
Bake for an additional 15 to 20 minutes or until the topping is almost set. Remove from the oven.
Immediately sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips over top. Return to oven for 1 minute to melt the chips.
Remove from the oven. Gently spread melted chips over top.
Sprinkle with nuts, lightly pressing them into the chocolate.
Refrigerate for an hour. Cut into bars and serve.
Store in the refrigerator. Makes 36 bars.
NOTE: Watch your time and make sure to cut into bars as directed, before cooling completely. The crust becomes quite firm and it is difficult to cut through when fully chilled.
Chocolate, cream cheese, more chocolate and nuts, right out from the fridge, the bars taste like a candy bar. Heaven in your mouth!
An awesome recipe for potlucks, Christmas or any holiday celebration, these bars will be the star of the party!
Interested in more recipes for bars?
For the crust:
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
For the topping:
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese softened
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 6 oz semisweet chocolate chips
For the glaze:
- 6 oz semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and butter.
- Beat at medium speed about 2 minutes or until crumbly and well blended. A food processor is good as well.
- Press mixture into an ungreased 13x9 inch pan.
- Bake for 12 minutes; remove from the oven.
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar, 2 tablespoons flour and eggs at medium speed until smooth
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the cream mixture over the partially baked crust.
- Bake for an additional 15 to 20 minutes or until the topping is almost set.
- Remove from the oven. Immediately sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips over top. Return to oven for 1 minute to melt the chips.
- Remove from the oven. Gently spread melted chips over top. Sprinkle with nuts, lightly pressing them into the chocolate.
- Refrigerate 1 hour. Cut into bars. Store in the refrigerator. Makes 36 bars.
- NOTE: Watch your time and be sure to cut into bars as directed, before cooling completely. The crust becomes quite firm and it is difficult to cut through when fully chilled.
- Serve and enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 132Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 36mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 1gSugar: 10gProtein: 2g