Are you looking for a fun & festive little appetizer to make for your next party? Here is a recipe that can be made ahead. Mini peppers stuffed with farmer cheese is a super easy to put together recipe that is delicious and also beautiful on the table.
Mini peppers stuffed with farmer cheese
I am not a big appetizer maker. This is an area where I always choose simplicity, because the rest of the meals I put together for entertaining are quite elaborated.
I wish to learn more about how to NOT over-do-it. Yes, I am like that.
Complicated dishes, lots of food and always the hope that my guests will be famished and eat all I make. It never happens and I never learn!
However, I do understand that simple things in life are sometimes better, so today, I am sharing with you the simplicity of a dish that you might fall in love with.
For stuffing the peppers, I am using Farmer Cheese(Cottage Cheese) but cream cheese or goat cheese can be used as well.
This Farmer cheese stuffing is an old recipe I found in my antique Romanian cooking book, a recipe that is very popular for entertaining. I use it for many years now and I am personally in love with it.
I sometimes stuff peppers with it, like this time, but sometimes I just place the cheese in a bowl and serve it as a dip with fresh vegetables.
Some other times I just decorate the cheese with olives or radishes and place slices of crusty French baguette right next to it. Let me tell you, people are going crazy for it. It is SO delicious!
I also love the mini peppers. They are thin skinned, with very small seedpods and membranes. I buy them quite often and always have a bag in the refrigerator.
I use them for a lot of dishes I make: scrambled eggs for breakfast, soups, salads or stews. They are sweet, delicious and easy to work with.
If it happens that you do not have access to mini peppers, because your grocery store doesn’t have them, or you are not located in United States, then use colored bell peppers, stuff them with the cheese, then slice them in four or eight, as you like. No big deal.
How to make these Mini peppers stuffed with farmer cheese:
Prepare the cheese filling. Soften the cheese, add sour cream(or mayo), chopped green onions, dill, caraway seeds and salt.
Clean the peppers.
Slice the peppers in half.
Spoon the cheese mixture neatly on the pepper halves. Place them on a platter and sprinkle over them chopped dill or green onions chopped small.
Note to remember: For this dish, you will probably have a little filling left over, but it’s nice as a spread so it won’t go to waste. Slice some fresh French baguette and spread the cheese over, as a snack.
These mini peppers stuffed with farmer cheese will keep well in the refrigerator for about 3 days. Bring them to room temperature before serving.
pin this for later:
What else you can do with Farmer Cheese- you could try these recipes:
- 10 mini sweet peppers halved lengthwise
- 8 oz farmer cheese
- 1-2 tablespoons sour cream(or mayonnaise)
- 1 medium green onion(or more according to your taste) chopped small
- 1-2 teaspoons fresh chopped dill( or 1/2 teaspoon dried dill)
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (or to your taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon sweet paprika(that will make the cheese a little bit pink)
- If you use the cheese only as a dip, decorate with olives, radishes, peppers etc.
- In a small bowl, softened the cheese with a fork. Add the sour cream or the mayo.
- Add the chopped green onion, dill, caraway seeds and salt. Optional add sweet paprika.
- Mix everything well and correct the salt if necessary.
- Spoon the cheese mixture into pepper halves. Place them on a platter and sprinkle over them chopped dill or green onions chopped small.
- The cheese mixture will last for 3 days in the refrigerator. Bring to room temperature before serving.
- The mixture can be made ahead of time.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 106 Total Fat: 8g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 21mg Sodium: 281mg Carbohydrates: 4g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 2g Protein: 5g