Mini peppers stuffed with farmer cheese is a super easy-to-put-together recipe that is delicious and also beautiful on the table.
Fun & Festive Appetizer
Are you looking for a fun & festive little appetizer to make for your next party? Here is a recipe that can be made ahead.
I am not a big appetizer maker. This is an area where I always choose simplicity because the rest of the meals I put together for entertaining are quite elaborate.
I wish to learn more about how to NOT over-do-it. Yes, I am like that.
Complicated dishes, lots of food, and always the hope that my guests will be famished and eat all I make. It never happens, and I never learn!
However, I do understand that simple things in life are sometimes better, so today, I am sharing with you the simplicity of a dish that you might fall in love with.
For stuffing the peppers, I am using Farmer Cheese (Cottage Cheese) but cream cheese or goat cheese can be used as well.
This Farmer cheese stuffing is an old recipe I found in my antique Romanian cooking book, a recipe that is very popular for entertaining. I use it for many years now, and I am personally in love with it.
I sometimes stuff peppers with it, like this time, but sometimes I just place the cheese in a bowl and serve it as a dip with fresh vegetables.
Some other times I just decorate the cheese with olives or radishes and place slices of crusty French baguette right next to it. Let me tell you, people are going crazy for it. It is SO delicious!
Ideas for mini peppers
I also love the mini peppers. They are thin-skinned, with very small seedpods and membranes. I buy them quite often and always have a bag in the refrigerator.
I use them for a lot of dishes I make: scrambled eggs for breakfast, soups, salads, or stews. They are sweet, delicious, and easy to work with.
If it happens that you do not have access to mini peppers because your grocery store doesn't have them or you are not located in the United States, then use colored bell peppers, stuff them with the cheese, then slice them in four or eight, as you like. No big deal.
How to make
Prepare the cheese filling. Soften the cheese, add sour cream(or mayo), chopped green onions, dill, caraway seeds and salt.
Clean the peppers.
Slice the peppers in half.
Spoon the cheese mixture neatly on the pepper halves. Place them on a platter and sprinkle over them chopped dill or green onions chopped small.
For this dish, you will probably have a little filling left over, but it’s nice as a spread, so it won’t go to waste. Slice some fresh French baguette and spread the cheese over as a snack.
These mini peppers stuffed with farmer cheese will keep well in the refrigerator for about 3 days. Bring them to room temperature before serving.
pin this for later:
More recipes with Farmer Cheese
- 10 mini sweet peppers halved lengthwise
- 8 oz farmer cheese
- 1-2 tablespoons sour cream(or mayonnaise)
- 1 medium green onion(or more according to your taste) chopped small
- 1-2 teaspoons fresh chopped dill( or ½ teaspoon dried dill)
- ½ teaspoon caraway seeds
- ¼ teaspoon salt (or to your taste)
- ¼ teaspoon sweet paprika(that will make the cheese a little bit pink)
- If you use the cheese only as a dip, decorate with olives, radishes, peppers etc.
- In a small bowl, softened the cheese with a fork. Add the sour cream or the mayo.
- Add the chopped green onion, dill, caraway seeds and salt. Optional add sweet paprika.
- Mix everything well and correct the salt if necessary.
- Spoon the cheese mixture into pepper halves. Place them on a platter and sprinkle over them chopped dill or green onions chopped small.
- The cheese mixture will last for 3 days in the refrigerator. Bring to room temperature before serving.
- The mixture can be made ahead of time.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 106Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 21mgSodium: 281mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 5g