I adore Transylvanian desserts and this recipe comes from there. It does not claim to be a fancy one, but it is an old treasure that I thought deserves some attention due to the simplicity of the ingredients. This recipe of walnuts and cinnamon coffee cake is inherited from my grandmother who was German and lived in Transylvania.
The cake is made from a simple batter with butter, sugar, eggs, flour and spices. Before it goes in the oven, the batter is sprinkled with walnuts. When it comes out of the oven, the cake is dusted with powder sugar, cut in squares and served with coffee.
It is extremely easy to put together and very delicious. As I said before, this is not a fancy recipe, but something my grandmother would rather make at the end of the week as a treat, using simple ingredients available in her pantry. She would definitely serve this with coffee or tea.
Coffee cakes are lovely and I hope you will try this recipe! I wouldn’t be shy to make this recipe for a potluck, a picnic or just on a lazy Sunday for the family to enjoy! And also eat it for breakfast, why not? Don’t you just love it when a recipe can be used for breakfast or dessert? Coffee cakes are like that.
Also, come join The Bossy Kitchen community group where you can share your creations made from this blog or from other sources. Everyone is welcome!
- 1 stick Plus 6 tablespoons/7.4oz /210 g unsalted butter room temperature
- 1½ cups/9.9oz/280g granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups plus 4 tablespoons/9.9oz/280 g all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup/4oz/115 g walnuts finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon powder sugar for decorating
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until smooth.
- Add eggs one by one and keep mixing. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, cinnamon and cloves.
- Add the dry ingredients gradually to the butter, eggs and sugar and mix well.
- Oil a 9x13inch(23x33cm) baking tray and pour the batter in it.
- Sprinkle the batter with the chopped walnuts.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- When cool, dust the cake with powder sugar and cut in squares.