Many of you probably made this salad before or at least know about it. This is a version I know since ever, and it is a little bit different as it uses celeriac instead of celery and it also doesn’t have raisins. It was a very popular salad while I was growing up in Romania. We are great consumers of celery root (or celeriac) and apples, therefore the ingredients were easy to find. It was also a wonderful winter salad that provided lots of vitamins and freshness to our diet.
You need just few ingredients, like apples, celery root(celeriac) , carrots, walnuts, and mayo. I cleaned the celeriac, apples and carrots, then shredded them (I used a food processor) and placed everything in the salad bowl. Pretty simple, right?
I added the chopped walnuts,
and the mayonnaise. I mixed everything and tasted for salt and pepper.
That’s it! Serve it cold as an appetizer or with roasted meats. DELICIOUS!
Note: The beauty of this salad is that besides the vegetables you can also add cooked chicken or turkey, which makes the salad versatile and a great way to recycle the leftover turkey or chicken from previous meals.
If you liked this recipe, you might also like some other salad recipes I have on my blog.
Do you know about The Bossy Kitchen Facebook group? Interested to join it?
The Bossy Kitchen Group on Facebook is a community of people who share the passion for cooking and baking and where everyone is welcome to share ideas, tips and culinary experiences. Click HERE if you would like to join!
- 2-3 medium apples shredded
- 1-2 medium celery root shredded
- 2 big carrots
- 8 oz chopped walnuts
- 8 oz mayonnaise
- salt and pepper to taste
- Clean and core the apples.
- Peel and clean the celery root.
- Peel the carrots.
- With a food processor or regular vegetable grater, shred all the vegetables and place them in a salad bowl.
- Add the walnuts.
- Add mayonnaise and salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve cold.
- Note (Optional): You can also add cooked chicken or turkey, which makes the salad versatile and a great way to recycle the leftover turkey or chicken from previous meals.