This Cheesy Chicken And Mushroom Pie Recipe is a great option to use leftover chicken or turkey. Perfect with a simple green salad.
I don't know about you, but I love savory pies. They are versatile and great any time of the day.
The savory pies are one of my multiple solutions for comfort foods that are easy to make, even during the week when everyone is busy and running around.
Why should you try this recipe?
- This wonderful cheesy chicken pie with mushrooms is a complete meal by itself and requires very little preparation.
- It is a great way to use leftover turkey or chicken (if you are not into turkey much) during the holidays.
- The combination of chicken, mushrooms, and cheese is delicious.
- This recipe is a shortcut as it doesn't use any crust, so you don't have to worry about buying or making one.
What ingredients do you need?
Cooked chicken or turkey - Here are some ideas on how to come up with this one:
* Roast a chicken and use the meat for the pie.
* Boil 1-2 chicken breasts in water for 25-30 minutes. Remove the meat from the water, let it cool, then shred it using two forks.
* Have a big Thanksgiving meal and wrap the leftover turkey meat for later use. (like making this pie)
* Buy a roasted chicken from the grocery store and make the pie.
Mushrooms: Use your favorite type of mushroom. I like portabello, shiitake, white, or crimini. Pre-sliced mushrooms are great, as you can put dinner on the table faster.
Onions: You can use regular onions or green onions if you like more color. I cook a lot with green onions.
Olive oil or vegetable oil: for cooking the mushrooms and onions.
Shredded cheese: Here is your opportunity to become flexible and use the cheese you like. I like sharp cheddar cheese, but I also like mixtures of Monterey Jack, mozzarella, Colby Jack, Asiago, etc.
Eggs, milk, flour, and baking powder: these ingredients will become the filling for the pie, together with chicken and mushrooms.
How to make this Chicken and Mushroom Pie recipe
- In a large skillet, on medium-high heat, cook onions and mushrooms together.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs with milk.
- Add the cooked chicken and mushroom filling.
- Pour the mixture into a pie dish and bake until the surface is golden brown.
How to store leftover pie
- Allow the pie to cool down to room temperature before storing it. Leaving it out for too long can promote bacterial growth, so it's best to refrigerate or freeze it as soon as possible.
- Once the pie has cooled down, transfer it to an airtight container or wrap it tightly in plastic wrap. Make sure the container or wrap is tightly sealed to prevent air and moisture from getting in, which can cause the pie to spoil faster.
- Label the container or plastic wrap with the date and contents. This will help you keep track of how long the pie has been in the fridge or freezer.
- Place the pie in the refrigerator if you plan to eat it within three to four days. Alternatively, you can store it in the freezer for up to two to three months.
How to reheat this Chicken Mushroom Pie
When reheating the pie, you can do so in the oven or microwave. To reheat in the oven, preheat it to 350°F (175°C), place the pie in an oven-safe dish, and bake for about 15-20 minutes or until heated through. To reheat in the microwave, transfer a portion to a microwave-safe dish, cover it with a microwave-safe cover, and microwave on high for about 1-2 minutes or until heated through.
How to serve
Cheesy Chicken and Mushroom Pie is a great comfort food dish that is perfect for a family dinner or a potluck gathering.
It is a hearty and filling meal that can be served on its own or with a side salad. The combination of chicken, mushrooms, and cheese is a winning combination that is sure to satisfy your taste buds.
There are many variations of the Cheesy Chicken and Mushroom Pie recipe, and some people like to add other ingredients like bacon or different types of cheese to make it even more delicious.
It is a versatile dish that can be adapted to suit your preferences and tastes.
A glass of white wine would go well with this ultimate comfort dish.
More recipe ideas
Cheesy Chicken And Mushroom Pie Recipe
- 12 ounces cooked chicken breast chopped
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 2-3 green onion chopped
- ½ teaspoon dried dill
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- ⅔ cup whole milk
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Heat up the olive oil in a skillet and add the chopped green onion and mushrooms. Saute them until translucent. Add dill and mix.
- Remove the skillet from the stove and let the mushroom mixture cool.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs together with salt, pepper, and milk.
- Add flour and baking powder. Mix to combine the ingredients.
- Add the chopped chicken and the shredded cheese.
- Add the mushrooms and mix well to incorporate all ingredients.
- Pour the mixture into a pie dish and bake for 35-40 minutes or until the surface is golden brown.
- Serve warm or cold.