I love hearty soups. I grew up with them and always loved them. A good soup feeds your body and soul, is a complete meal, and a smart nutritious way to feed yourself and your family. In many cultures, broths and soups are the first aid on healing the ill and a great way to feed a child.
Today we are going to make a traditional Romanian pork sour soup. The Romanian sour soups may contain a wide variety of sour ingredients, usually lemon juice or vinegar.The sour soups have many vegetables and most of the time, meat, which can be anything available, pork, beef, chicken etc.
This soup is so delicious that we had it for breakfast one day and my husband said that he never ate anything better than this soup…he always says that with everything I cook though, so you have to make the soup and let me know if he was right or not. 🙂
- 1 pound/500g pork meat chopped
- 3 medium carrots chopped
- 2-3 celery sticks chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 celery root peeled and chopped
- 1 pepper(any color you prefer) chopped
- 1-2 potatoes medium, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp dry tarragon
- ½ tsp dry oregano
- 4 Tbsp sour cream
- ½ lemon(we use the juice from it)
- 1-2 cloves of garlic chopped
- 8 cups water
- Chop the pork meat in cubes and put them in a pot of soup, on medium heat, on the stove, with some vegetable oil.
- Let the meat sweat for few minutes to develop the flavor, then add all the cleaned and chopped vegetables except for the potatoes and tomatoes.
- Cook the vegetables together with the meat until they develop the flavor, then add water to cover them.
- Keep simmering the soup until the meat is cook through and the vegetables are soft. Add the potatoes cut in small cubes and the chopped tomatoes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and a little bit of oregano.
- Simmer the soup until the potatoes are cooked.
- Add the dry tarragon and the juice from your lemon.
- In a separate bowl put the sour cream.
- Add a small amount of hot soup to sour cream; stir to mix. Gradually add the mixture to the soup, stirring constantly. Do not bring back to boil.
- Serve hot.