The recipe for Crustless Broccoli Bacon Quiche is one of my favorite recipes. It is low in carbs, nutritious and delicious. I make it very often for my family, first of all because they love it and second, because it is a very easy breakfast or lunch item that can be taken to work. Have a slice in the morning with your favorite coffee, or make a salad and have the quiche with it for lunch. Delicious!
I always try to get creative in the kitchen, so I use any kind of vegetables I have in the refrigerator. Sometimes is broccoli, but it could be also spinach, onion and pepper, asparagus, or mushrooms. You can definitely use ham instead of bacon. I am also interested in eating clean and healthy, so the eggs and sour cream I use are always organic. I also use quality cheese.
However, I had people asking me what do I put in my quiche and why is it different than other recipes out there. I believe it is the cream or the sour cream I mix with the eggs, instead of using milk or half and half as you will see in many American recipes. In fact, I discovered recently reading the Larousse Gastronomique, that the original recipe for quiche has a base made with beaten eggs and cream, or cream fraiche, the European substitute for our American sour cream. I was happy to learn that, as I always used sour cream in my quiche recipes, thinking about the texture.
I also have some other quiche recipes you can try like Crustless Spinach with Smoked Meat and Gouda Cheese . If you have guests or a potluck, this recipe of Vegetarian mini quiche is a great one. Or maybe you would like to make a simple crust for your quiche? Here you have a lovely, easy one.
- 5 eggs
- 1 bag of frozen broccoli
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 pound of bacon (or ham) chopped in small pieces
- 1 cup of shredded Cheddar Cheese or Gruyere cheese
- ⅔ cup sour cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Chop the onion and meat(bacon or ham) and add them to a pan with the oil. Saute them until the onions are translucid and the meat is cooked.
- Add the broccoli.
- Mix the ingredients together and cook them for about 5 minutes until the broccoli is half cooked and the liquid in the pan evaporated.
- Add salt and pepper to your taste.
- Remove the broccoli, onions and bacon from the stove and put them in a pie pan. I use a Pyrex Pie Pan, but you can use any pie pan you have around.
- Let the broccoli and bacon cool down.
- Whisk the eggs together.
- Add sour cream to the mixture.
- Add the shredded cheese.
- Pour the eggs with the cheese and sour cream over the vegetables.
- Bake the quiche for about 30 mins at 350F, until it's lightly brown outside and cooked inside.
- Insert a toothpick in the middle and check if its done. The toothpick should come out clean.